WASHINGTON - Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation Friday announced the planned separation of the $76-billion conglomerate into two distinct publicly traded companies, with one to be renamed 21st Century Fox and the publishing firm to retain the News Corp brand. The split has been formally approved by the Board of Directors. The Company announced appointments to the Boards of Directors of both ...
BEIJING - Chinese regulators Friday announced that they have signed a memorandum of understanding with their US counterparts giving American authorities increased access to documents from Chinese audit firms. The signing of the MOU between China Securities Regulatory Commission (CSRC), the Ministry of Finance (MOF) and the US Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) is a significant ...
ZAGREB/LONDON - Croatia, soon to become the 28th member of the European Union,- is looking to undiscovered oil and gas fields in the Adriatic Sea to revive its ailing economy, according to the country's president. Ivo Josipovic told CNN that Croatia is searching for partners in the energy sector to help reveal oil and gas "green fields" in the waters that separate the Balkan nations and ...
WASHINGTON - Amazon, the largest online retailer of books, movies, music and games, Friday offered its Kindle e-book platform to fan fiction authors to sell some of their work. Fan fiction is literature inspired by popular books, shows, movies, comics, music, and games. Publication outside of blogs and online fanzines is often difficult because of copyright issues. Amazon Publishing has ...
BEIJING - China is planning to steadily push forward market-oriented reform in its interest rates and exchange rates mechanisms this year as part of the financial sector reforms to better serve the real economy, a central bank report said on Friday. The "China Financial Stability Report (2013) released by the People's Bank of China stressed that it would be steadily promoting the interest ...
18°C Partly Cloudy
Winds: From the South at 9 MPH
Before the final credits roll at the end of Walking Tall, there is a title card declaring that that film is dedicated to the memory of Buford Pusser, the real-life Tennessee sheriff whose actions against moonshiners and organized crime in the late 1960s made him a modern American fol ... ...
DUBLIN/ WASHINGTON Ireland-based biotechnology firm Elan Thursday rejected Royalty Pharma's increased $6.4 billion takeover bid, shortly after the U.S. firm cut the acceptance bar for its latest offer to 50 percent plus one share. Royalty raised its hostile cash bid to $12.50 per share on Monday, from $11.25 previously, but made the new offer conditional on Elan shareholders rejecting, at a ...
LONDON - In a critique of the United Kingdom's austerity programme, the International Monetary Fund Wednesday urged the Europe's third largest economy to rebalance the policy to make the transition to a high-investment and more export-oriented economy. "The UK could boost growth by bringing forward measures already included in its fiscal plan, such as spending on infrastructure and job ...
Despite a winter that never seemed to end, Minnesota farmers are going into Memorial Day weekend with a good percentage of their crop planted -- a better outcome than feared a month ...
NEW YORK - Target Corp., Macy's Inc. and 15 other retailers sued Visa Inc. and MasterCard Inc. over credit card and debit card fees after dropping out of a multibillion-dollar settlement of a similar case. The biggest U.S. payment card firms illegally restrained competition for interchange fees by setting default rates and imposing almost identical rules for accepting cards, the retailers ...
Consumers buying health care coverage this fall on Minnesota's new insurance exchange likely will have more choices than are currently available, bringing a spark of competition as health reform rolls out in the months ...
Reported in the press
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney
This hotel is located right in the heart of the CBD of Sydney in Jamison Street. The hotel neighbours the ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Sydney SunSydney Sun | The latest news & events in Sydney, Australia
Sydney Sun works strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Sydney news. Our editors, software programmers, journalists and affiliated wire services here at Sydney Sun are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This is a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expense of diversity of media ownership. The Sydney Sun was established more than a decade ago as an independent online newspaper, or eNewspaper, named after the Sydney Sun newspaper, first published more than a hundred years ago.
Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Sydney, Australia's biggest city, as it occurs. There is also a focus on the wider metropolitan area with news of what is taking place in Manly and other suburbs on the northern beaches, Bondi Beach and the eastern suburbs; North Sydney, Parramatta and the Western Suburbs; through to the Blue Mountains and out into the Central West, down to Wagga Wagga and the southern regional cities and up the North Coast with stories from cities like Port Macquarie, and Coffs Harbour, as well as the latest events from Gosford and other key centres on the Central Coast, Newcastle and the Hunter, down to Wollongong and the Illawarra.
Sydney Sun also covers the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Sydney weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what is happening in sports, the Sydney Sun is here for you.
Our business centre too is active 24 hours a day providing the latest market updates and news from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Frankfurt, Chicago and New York. Sydney Sun provides stock indices tables, individual stock search functionality, independent market news, and foreign exchange rates, as a regular feature, together with a vast range of general interest news.
Australia and India today signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to develop and strengthen cooperation in skills training in the agriculture sector.
The MoU results from the joint commitment of the Australian and Indian Prime Ministers in October 2012 to build bilateral partnerships between skills councils in key industry areas, including telecommunications, retail, mining, media/entertainment and agriculture.
Welcoming the initiative, the Australian High Commissioner to India, Mr Patrick Suckling, said the MoU was another successful outcome of the Australia India Education Council's (AIEC) work to expand collaboration in skills development between Australia and India.
"This partnership aims to achieve quality industry-led skills training standards in the agriculture sector. With India projected to add 12 to 15 million workers to its labour force every year over the coming decades, employability and productivity gains will be inextricably linked to quality standards," said Suckling.
The MOU was signed between the Agriculture Skills Council of India and AgriFood Skills Australia and will promote cooperation in creating quality occupational, training, assessment, certification, information and stakeholder engagement standards. ...
- India aim to finish AFC Cup on good note
- Real Madrid sign Casemiro
- PCB to soon bring umpires under domain
- Itd be cute to have a boy Khloe Kardashian
- BJP calls for special investigation team to probe spot fixing in cricket
- Racist Oz broadcaster Morrow spared the sack but banned from marquee events this season
- Oz cricketer apologises for calling woman accusing rugby star Teo of assault as psycho bad news
- Locky puzzled by Maloney selection
- Blues Origin squad leaked
- Paul Wellens hopes to pull another win out of hat on Magic Weekend
- North Korea envoy hands over China's Xi a note of peace
- UK defends security services over Woolwich murder
- US bridge collapses sending vehicles into water
- $2.6 mn necklace spirited away at Cannes Film Festival
- World becoming dangerous for refugees, warns Amnesty
- Isla Fisher had near to death experience on sets of Now You See Me
- Harris picks out chief weapon Starc to rip through English top-order at Ashes
- Flintoff to return to cricket duty with yesteryear stars T20 clash with Oz
- Racist Oz broadcaster Morrow spared the sack but banned from marquee events this season
- Prince Harry names himself ginger queen
- Market Snapshot Bears cite performance chasing as stocks rise
- News Corp to take charge of up to $1.4 billion this quarter
- Top Ten MarketWatch’s top 10 stories May 20-24
- The Week Ahead Should You Listen to the Fed Whisperers
- Stocks to Watch Stocks to watch Tiffany United Natural Foods
- Diversion of flight fails to save passenger from Ireland
- Thailand-Japan plan two-way tourism traffic flows.
- Marriott Foundation funds new charitable initiative for youth in China.
- Kailua businesses await possible sale of Kaneohe Ranch portfolio Slideshow
- Food trends from the NRA
- Insurers submit plans for Minnesota health care exchange
- Oklahoma tornado Insurance bill could top $2bn
- Farmers insurers concerned over crop insurance premiums
- Ken Thomas says City National Bank deal good for local businesses
- States settle with Cigna over long-term disability insurance
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Sydney Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Goodes says young fan not to blame
- No one is safe. That is the message from this act of violence
- Thousands cast votes in Northern Tablelands by-election
- Wests Tigers coach Potter hails Benji Marshalls defensive efforts
- Goodes racially abused by teenage girl